top of page

Amy Callaghan MP Privacy Policy

This is a privacy notice for Amy Callaghan, elected Member of the House of Commons for East Dunbartonshire.


Who we are


I am Amy Callaghan, the elected member for the constituency of East Dunbartonshire and a member of the Scottish National Party (SNP). 

My contact details are as follows:

Parliamentary Address: House of Commons, London, Sw1A 0AA
Telephone: 0207 219 3000


What is personal data?


Personal data is any information from which a living individual can be identified.


I will hold all personal data securely, I will only use it for the purposes it was collected or acquired for and I will only pass it on to third parties with your consent or according to a legal obligation.


Further information about the data protection legislation and your rights is available here.


How I use your personal data:

I process any personal data under the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (the GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (the DPA).


Why do I need your personal data:

As an elected member of the House of Commons, I collect and use personal data to fulfil the following functions and associated activities of my office;

  • to carry out casework on behalf of my constituents;

  • to tend to issues and campaigns I am involved in;

  • to maintain supplier relationships;

  • to process expenses, accounts and associated records;

  • to send other information connected with my work as an MP

If you contact me with an inquiry or a complaint, I will normally need to store your contact details to deal with your concerns. This is considered “normal category data” under GDPR.

Other personal data you may provide to me may include details about your personal and family life, social circumstances, business activities, your employment and education details, financial information, or information about your housing situation, etc. 

Depending on what views, issues, or experiences you wish to discuss with me, you may be sharing “special category” data. This could include details about race or ethnic origin, physical or mental health, genetic or biometric data, political or religious views, sexual orientation, trade union membership, or any criminal offences. 

If you are a supplier, I will normally need to store your name, contact and payment details for the purpose of the contract between us.


Who do I share your information with:


As an elected member of the House of Commons I would normally pass your details, and the detail of the situation you have sought my help about, with relevant third parties in order to allow them to look into the issues. 


I may be required to share personal information I hold with other individuals or organisations including: 


  • healthcare, social and welfare organisations

  • local and central government bodies

  • educators and examining bodies

  • statutory law enforcement agencies

  • investigating bodies

  • elected representatives and other holders of public office

  • financial organisations

  • crime prevention agencies and the police

  • transport agencies and infrastructure bodies

  • energy, utility, and telecoms providers

Depending on the circumstances, the legal basis for sharing data with these organisations may be that:

  • the sharing is necessary for complying with a legal obligation to which I am subject (Art 6(1)(c) GDPR);

  • the sharing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another person (Art 6(1)(d)); or

  • the sharing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or substantial public interest (Art 6(1)(e) or Art 9(2)(g) GDPR).

I may seek your prior express consent to share your personal data with any of the following:

  • employment and recruitment agencies

  • press and the media

  • family, associates and representatives of the person whose personal data I am processing

  • enquirers

  • subjects of complaints

  • political parties

  • charitable parties

International transfers

All data which I hold is held within the UK.

How long will I keep your information for?

I will only retain personal information for the duration of the parliamentary term, which means normally for a maximum of five years.


Your rights under data protection law

GDPR sets out the rights which individuals have in relation to personal information held about them by data controllers. 


These rights are listed below, although whether you will be able to exercise each of these rights in a particular case may depend on the purpose for which the data controller is processing the data and the legal basis upon which the processing takes place (see the individual privacy notices listed above for further details in relation to specific processing activities).


  • access to your information – you have the right to request a copy of the personal information that I hold about you.

  • correcting your information – I want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up to date. Therefore, you may ask me to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.

  • deletion of your information – you have the right to ask me to delete personal information about you where:

    1. you think that I no longer need to hold the information for the purposes for which it was originally obtained;

    2. I am using that information with your consent and you have withdrawn your consent;

    3. you have a genuine objection to my use of your personal information – see Objecting to how I may use your information below; or

    4. my use of your personal information is contrary to law or other legal obligations.


Objecting to how I may use your information

You have the right at any time to require me to stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes.  In addition, where I use your personal information to perform tasks carried out in the public interest or for a legitimate interest then, if you ask me to, I will stop using that personal information unless there are overriding legitimate grounds to continue.


Restricting how I may use your information:

In some cases, you may ask me to restrict how I use your personal information. This right might apply, for example, where I am checking the accuracy of personal information that I hold about you. This right might also apply if I no longer have a basis for using your personal information, but you don't want me to delete the data. Where this right is realistically applied will mean that I may only use the relevant personal information, for legal claims or where there are other public interest grounds to do so.


Information I hold about other people:

Most of the personal information I hold relates to people who have approached me in connection with a particular issue. However, I also hold information about other people as well, where this has been given to me in connection with such an issue. In some cases I will contact these other people directly to inform them that I have been provided with information about them (and also to tell them about their rights under data protection law and advise them about the terms of this privacy notice) but in many cases this is impractical. I will normally hold third party information in connection with attempts to get the council to take some sort of enforcement action and it would not be appropriate for me to contact third parties in these sorts of circumstances.

Profiling or automated decision-making processes:

I do not make use of automated decision-making processes or profiling.




If you are unhappy about how I have handled your personal information I would be happy if you raised this with me directly in the first instance. 

However, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office, who can be contacted by post at: 


Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wimslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

By phone on: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745


You can also visit their website for more information at:

bottom of page